Safety & handling
Safety & handling
In concert with Glencore's mission, values and beliefs NorFalco is committed to being a recognized leader in the safe distribution of sulfuric acid.
The following statement was developed to frame NorFalco's commitment, and provide guidance for the performance we expect from ourselves:
"NorFalco will be a recognized industry leader in the safe and environmentally sound distribution of Sulfuric Acid. This leadership will work with and support the sulfuric acid business and provide a key benefit to our shareholders, customers and other stakeholders."
As a member of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC), NorFalco is committed to meeting and exceeding the requirements of Responsible Care®.
This commitment requires the responsible management of chemicals by minimizing risk to employees, customers, the public and the environment. The Responsible Care ® ethic is evident throughout every phase of NorFalco's distribution system, where strict safeguards and established practices are in place. Compliance with Responsible Care® is re-verified every three years by advocates and chemical industry experts.
NorFalco successfully completes Responsible Care Re-Verification
NorFalco was re-verified in accordance with the Chemical Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) Responsible Care principles in December 2020. The verifiers identified ten Successful Practices (SP):
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco management system for continuous safety improvements in rail car design.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco Dislocation Policy related to potential community disruptions during an emergency incident involving NorFalco third party carriers and products.
- The team notes as a Successful Practice the Glencore Business Continuity Plan.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco management system that utilizes a comprehensive "Customer First Order" information package.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco management system that utilizes a third party Know Your Customer audit process for new customers.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco marketing philosophy of "More Than H2SO4" which encompasses industry leading Responsible Care standards.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the 2018 "Grand Slam" award by the Association of American Railroads for the safe shipping of Sulphuric Acid.
- The verification team notes as a Successful Practice the NorFalco management system for Motor Carrier Recognition that subsequently awarded two third party motor carriers with NorFalco's Motor Carrier of the Year Award for leadership in safety and performance for 2018.
- The verification team noted as a Successful Practice the NorFalco response to the COVID-19 pandemic and their transition to work from home thus recognizing as a prime concern the health and safety of their employees. The senior management went the extra mile in ensuring that support was available to any employee or their family that was struggling in meeting the demands of work-from-home.
- The verification team noted as a Successful Practice the completion of NorFalco's eighth verification as the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada beta test for virtual verifications. The company participants were engaged and well informed. Documentation supplied pre and post verification interview meetings were complete and supplied in a timely manner.
Delivering More than H2SO4
As part of our commitment to being responsible, NorFalco emphasizes reliable supply, high product quality, specialized customer service and safety.
Our Product Stewardship processes include:
- Pre-delivery safety checks and assistance
- Rigorous carrier and terminal qualification and management training
- Industry-leading tank car design and quality
- Customer outreach and proactive technical visits
- On-Line Product and Safety Training – available from anywhere anytime
- On-site safety and technical training sessions
- Best practice safety, handling and technical reference materials
- Extensive emergency response system
- Regional safety and technical seminars
To view the Responsible Care re-verification report, click on the link below.